If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (636) 537-5400

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How To Avoid Space Heater Fires

7/17/2019 (Permalink)

Keep your space heater clean

Tips on Using a Space Heater

An extra blast of warmth on a cold night can be a great comfort. A burned space heater, however, is nothing but trouble. Here are some tips on using the space heater in your home in Ballwin, MO, safely.

Give the Heater Space

Your heater needs its space. It must be three feet from materials that are flammable at all times. This may mean that you can't use a space heater in some rooms. Many rooms, such as workshops, have combustible substances in them:

  • Paint and paint thinner
  • Different types of oils
  • Solvents

Children and pets should also stay away from the space heater. Put it in a place where it is at least three feet out of their reach.

Keep an Eye on the Heater

A personal heater should never be on when an adult is not in the room. For this reason, it is not advisable to put one in child's room. Even if you are only leaving the area for a little while, go ahead and turn it off, or you may come back to a burned space heater. Being close enough to observe it is the only way you have of knowing if something goes wrong and thus the only way you have of preventing further damage. To be extra safe, you may even consider unplugging it when it's not in use.

Clean and Maintain the Heater

Just like anything else in your home, your space heater can collect dust. If it builds up, it can cause a fire. Smoke cleanup experts recommend frequent cleaning of your space heater according to the manufacturer's instructions in the manual. Keeping the heater clean can help keep your home safe.
No one wants a burned space heater in their home. Follow these safety tips and take care of your heater, and you can enjoy cozy warmth without worrying about a house fire.

Other News

View Recent Posts