The Importance of Candle Safety In Your Home
Candles are beautiful and have many uses in a household all year long, but they can also be dangerous. Candle safety is important to know and it is often something we overlook. We see many candle related fires in our community, here are a few tips to prevent a candle fire from happening to you.
The simple nature of candles having an open flame is the key to why they can be so dangerous. Experts are recommending the use of battery-operated, flameless candles over regular candles. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), more than half of all candle fires start because candles were too close to things that could catch fire.
If you use regular candles, they need to be:
- At least a foot away from anything that can burn (curtains, walls, lamps, Christmas trees, etc.)
- Attended at all times (never leave a child alone in a room with a candle)
- Used in sturdy, enclosed candleholders
- Placed in areas where they cannot be tipped over
More than 1/3 of home fires caused by candles are started in the bedroom. Avoid using open flame candles in your bedroom or other areas where people may fall asleep and forget about them. If you are in a situation where your power is out, lighting a candle may be your go-to option. Try using flashlights or lanterns for sources of light. Using an open flame candle can lead to larger problems.
Candles are wonderful household items when used cautiously. Make sure you and your family are familiar with candle safety before lighting an open flame candle.