Preparing for Spring Storms
As we have now reached the spring storm season, it’s important that your family is prepared in case of an emergency. Having a plan in place when thunderstorms, lightning, tornadoes, and floods occur can be crucial when faced with the situation. According to the CDC, it’s important to keep an emergency kit on hand. Some of the items that should be included are:
- A battery-operated flashlight, a battery-operated NOAA Weather Radio, and extra batteries for both.
- An emergency evacuation or shelter plan, including a map of your home and for every type of severe weather emergency, routed to safety from each room.
- A list of important personal information, including:
- Telephone numbers of neighbors, family, and friends
- Insurance and property information
- Telephone numbers of utility companies
- Medical Information
- A 3-5 day supply of bottled water and non-perishable food
- Personal hygiene items
- A first aid kit
These are just a few steps you can take to help your family be prepared in case of an emergency. It’s important that each member of your family is aware of your plan and how to properly execute it. This will help keep your loved ones safe next time there is severe weather.