We are quickly approaching one of our nation’s favorite holidays, Independence Day. Popular traditions are celebrating with family barbeques, homemade ice cream and of course, fireworks. Fireworks can be very entertaining; however, it’s important we practice safety during this time. According to the NFPA, “Fireworks started an estimated 19,500 fires in 2018, including 1,900 structure fires, 500 vehicle fires, and 17,100 outside and other fires. These fires caused five deaths, 46 civilian injuries, and $105 million in direct property damage.” Below are a few ideas to get into the patriotic spirit, without fireworks:
- Use glow sticks, they glow in the dark and are a safe alternative to a sparkler. Fun for all ages.
- Loud and proud. Noise makers are sure to make a statement. They can be found at local party supply stores or make your own.
- Outdoor movie night. Set up a screen and projector. Don’t forget the bug spray!
- Red, white, and blue silly string…fun for all ages.
- Make a patriotic craft with the family.
- Throw a birthday party for the USA, and don’t forget the cake!
SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood