When water damage occurs in your home, it’s not always easy to determine where exactly the water has migrated to. To the naked eye, surfaces will appear dry but it can still be wet underneath the flooring or behind the drywall. SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood will use detection equipment to help determine if you still have moisture and what next steps should be.
Detection Equipment Scoping involves locating the areas of the structure affected by water and defining the extent to which the structure and contents have absorbed moisture. Moisture detection devices are also used to verify that an environment has been dried thoroughly.
- Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
- Moisture Meters are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate moisture readings that enable the SERVPRO® Franchise Professional to monitor the drying process.
- Thermohydrometers measure both temperature and relative humidity. Capturing these two readings, a SERVPRO® Franchise Professional using a psychrometric chart can calculate specific humidity, dew point and vapor pressure.
If you’ve had water damage and need help determining where it has migrated to, call SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood at 636-537-5400.
What NOT To Do After a Fire
We often hear of tips of how to prepare your family if a fire occurs or even what to do after the fire has occurred; however, we don’t often hear of things we should avoid after a fire. Below are a few tips of things you should NOT do after a fire has occurred in your home.
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Commercial Fire and Smoke Restoration
Commercial Restoration Presents Unique Challenges
SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood has the training, experience, and equipment to manage your commercial fire damage emergency. We understand the importance of getting your business back up and going as soon as possible. We will respond quickly and manage the fire restoration project through to its completion—getting your property business-ready. We will also work hand in hand with your insurance company to ensure it’s a smooth process for you. Below are a few of the certifications that our crews have to make sure we properly remediate any fire and smoke damage to your property.
- Fire and Smoke Restoration Technician
- Odor Control Technician
- Upholstery & Fabric Cleaning Technician
- Water Damage Restoration Technician
Call SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood if your business is need of fire or smoke restoration.
SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood
Tarping and Boarding Up after a Storm
The St. Louis area is no stranger to an aggressive storm season. We’re accustomed to experiencing high winds, hail and at times, tornadoes. This can cause some of our beautiful trees in the area to take a hit. Unfortunately, we can’t control which way these trees fall and sometimes end up through the roof or window. When this happens, you want to be sure these areas are boarded up or tarped immediately to keep any additional water from entering your home. The professionals at SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood will be able to assist you in any of your boarding up or tarping needs. We will also be able to give you an on-site assessment of any water damage and where exactly it has migrated throughout your home. SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood will be able to dry out your home and get it back to its preloss condition.
Call us today for any of your storm related questions at 636-537-5400!
Avoiding a Grill Fire
We’re entering the summer months which typically means it’s time for outdoor grilling. It’s important to make sure you and your family are taking the proper steps to ensure safety measures are in place. According to the National Fire Protection Association, seven out of every 10 adults in the U.S. have a grill or smoker. July is the peak month for grill fires (18%), including both structure, outdoor or unclassified fires, followed by June (15%), May (13%) and August (12%). Here are some safety tips the NFPA has given to help prevent grill fires in your home:
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grill and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.
Odor Removal and Deodorization
As experts in deodorization, SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood professionals are trained to identify and eliminate offensive odors. These odors can come from a number of sources both inside and outside a structure.
SERVPRO teaches IICRC technical classes in the proper removal of odors. Masking and other short cuts don't work when your odor problem is serious or persistent.
SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood has the training and equipment to identify and eliminate these offensive odors. By identifying the cause of the odor and determining the conditions in which it contacts any surfaces, the odor can often be removed over time without a trace.
The science of identifying and eliminating odors can be a tricky thing, so give us a call at 636-537-5400 for a free consultation.
Preparing for Spring Storms
As we have now reached the spring storm season, it’s important that your family is prepared in case of an emergency. Having a plan in place when thunderstorms, lightning, tornadoes, and floods occur can be crucial when faced with the situation. According to the CDC, it’s important to keep an emergency kit on hand. Some of the items that should be included are:
- A battery-operated flashlight, a battery-operated NOAA Weather Radio, and extra batteries for both.
- An emergency evacuation or shelter plan, including a map of your home and for every type of severe weather emergency, routed to safety from each room.
- A list of important personal information, including:
- Telephone numbers of neighbors, family, and friends
- Insurance and property information
- Telephone numbers of utility companies
- Medical Information
- A 3-5 day supply of bottled water and non-perishable food
- Personal hygiene items
- A first aid kit
These are just a few steps you can take to help your family be prepared in case of an emergency. It’s important that each member of your family is aware of your plan and how to properly execute it. This will help keep your loved ones safe next time there is severe weather.
Difficult Drying Areas
All homes and properties have unique challenges when it comes to extracting water and drying. These 4 spaces are the most common and here's why.
- DUCTWORK - Some duct systems made of fragile, porous materials
- ATTICS - Hard to get equipment into, electrical hazards and may require moving insulation
- BASEMENTS - Could be unfinished with lots of porous materials that would need disposing of in Category 2 or 3 water
- CRAWL SPACE - Hard to get equipment into and low temperatures require supplemental heat to warm the space
SERVPRO professionals will determine the best plan of action and what is needed to properly dry out these hard-to-reach areas. Call SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood at 636-537-5400 to receive a free estimate on any of your water damage needs.
Commercial Mold Remediation
Mold can spread quickly through a property if left untreated. SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood can respond quickly, working to first contain the infestation to help prevent its spread to other parts of the building. Next, they will begin the remediation process, working safely and effectively to manage the situation. They have the training, experience, and equipment to contain the mold infestation and remediate it to preloss condition.
Black mold in particular can be alarming and confusing. Here are some helpful facts about black mold.
What Is Black Mold?
Stachybotrys chartarum is the type of mold often called “black mold” or “toxic mold”. Sensational news reports warn about the dangers of black mold and these stories can be alarming and confusing. Any mold in your home should be treated with caution – stay out of affected areas and don’t touch or disturb the mold.
Please refer to our Mold Damage Tips to learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can produce allergens and irritants, you should contact a qualified mold remediation company regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold can exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect that you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today 636-537-5400
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce toxins harmful to humans and pets.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Life happens. Kids spill drinks, pets have accidents and homes get dirty. SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood has the expertise to provide a deeper clean than your basic house cleaning service. The residential cleaning services performed by SERVPRO professionals will not only ease the burden of the constant maintenance of your home, but will also create a safe, clean and comfortable living environment for you and your family.
You know SERVPRO as a leader in Fire and Water Cleanup and Restoration, but our professional residential cleaning services can also make a dirty carpet "Like it never even happened."
Residential Cleaning Services include:
The SERVPRO carpet and upholstery cleaning service will not only get out the dirt you see, but will also remove the unwanted dust you don’t. A professionally cleaned carpet and furniture may make all the difference in brightening up a room and freshening up your home.
We all have tasks around the house that don’t make it to the top of our priority list. Properly maintaining your home’s air ducts should not be one of them. Regular duct cleaning can increase your home’s heating and cooling efficiency and improve the quality of the air you and your family breathe.
Your basic cleaning service is not going to have the expertise to effectively deodorize your home. Take advantage of SERVPRO’s residential cleaning services to remove unwanted odors.
SERVPRO experts are ready to assist in the clean up of sewage and other biohazard materials and provide deep cleaning services for your home. Find out more about our franchise professionals.