Fire Protection Month
The month of October is Fire Protection Month. This is the perfect time to educate and talk with your whole family about fire safety – include testing alarms, changing the batteries or upgrading to 10-year sealed battery alarms, how to use a fire extinguisher and escape route planning. According to First Alert:
- 3 of every 5 home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no working smoke alarms
- Less than 50% of homeowners have an escape plan
- Carbon monoxide (CO) is the #1 cause of accidental poisoning in the US
- 60% of consumers do not test their smoke and CO alarms monthly
- Only 47% of people report having CO alarms in their home
- Just 43% of homeowners have an escape plan
- Unattended cooking is the #1 cause of home fires
Addressing some of the above statistics can help save a life in an emergency. It’s always important to make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly as well as making sure your family has a plan. Fire Protection Month is a great time to have a chat with your family to make sure everyone is on the same page in case of an emergency.
Main Water Shut Off
Yikes! Water is gushing from an internal water source in your home. Do you know where your main water shutoff valve is located?
It is important to be aware of where the main water shut off is in case of an emergency. When water is entering your home and at a fast rate, you will want to react quickly to get your water turned off.
Water shutoff valves may have a round wheel handle or levers. In the basement, the shutoff valve is typically located near the front foundation wall. The water main may have come through the concrete floor or through the wall. The valve is typically located within 3 to 5 feet of where the water main enters the home.
Once you have shut off the water to your home, call SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood for your free estimate. They will help to assess the damage and let you know what are the next steps to dry out your home.
SERVPRO South Chesterfield/Wildwood
National Preparedness Month
September has been declared National Preparedness Month. By being properly prepared it can help alleviate stress and potentially saves lives during an emergency. In the Chesterfield area the main natural disasters that affect us are typically related to wind and water. Missouri is more susceptible to tornadic activity which makes it very important to be prepared. Below is are recommendations for a basic emergency supply kit that is provided by FEMA.
- Water (one gallon per person per day for several days, for drinking and sanitation)
- Food (at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food)
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle (to signal for help)
- Dust mask (to help filter contaminated air)
- Plastic sheeting and duct tape (to shelter in place)
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties (for personal sanitation)
- Wrench or pliers (to turn off utilities)
- Manual can opener (for food)
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
We hope this list helps to prepare your family should you ever be faced with an emergency. SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood is always here to help.
SERVPRO South Chesterfield/Wildwood
A commitment to clean is a commitment to confidence.
From elementary schools to college campuses, clean and secure facilities are essential to education. And while the COVID-19 pandemic has changed the landscape of learning, SERVPRO® is here to help ensure a safe and comfortable environment for your students, faculty and staff.
With more than 50 years of experience in emergency and proactive cleanup and restoration, SERVPRO is in your community to help schools thrive in times of challenge. Through Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, we’re bringing a specialized viral pathogen-cleaning program to schools across the country. Going beyond standard janitorial practices, Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is expert deep cleaning backed by our industry-leading training program and follows all CDC and local guidelines, including the use of EPA-approved hospital-grade disinfectants.
If you encounter a positive case, call the experts you can trust to help you reset and reduce the spread of COVID-19. Get Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned and make the commitment to a higher standard of clean.
Types of facilities
- Early Childhood - Preschool and Nursery Schools
- Primary - Elementary and Middle Schools
- Secondary - High school and Academies
- Higher Education - College and Universities
- Athletics - Gymnasium, Sports Complex and Stadiums
SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood
Carpets act as a filter, trapping dust, dirt, gases, animal hair, and other soils. All carpet manufacturers agree on actions you can take between carpet cleanings to increase the life span of your carpet.Preventative maintenance actions include:
IICRC states that 79% of soil in carpet is dry soil. Vacuuming is a key component to proper care and maintenance of carpet.
- Regular vacuuming
- Spot removal
- Pilating the carpet to prevent matting
- Moving furniture to change traffic patterns
- Using walk-off mats to limit the amount of soil tracked onto the carpet
Doing these things will help to expand the life of your carpet and also help it stay clean in between carpet cleanings. When your ready for a carpet cleaning, don't hesitate to call SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood at 636-537-5400.
We’ve seen a couple very destructive storms hit the U.S. over the weekend that have unfortunately, caused a lot of damage in their path. SERVPRO is equipped with the resources needed to help mitigate your losses. Below are some examples of how SERVPRO can help you in your Commercial and Residential needs.
Whether you need emergency flood damage restoration or top-to-bottom home cleaning, you can trust SERVPRO franchise professionals to make your house feel like home again. They have the training, experience, and equipment to quickly get your home looking its best. Our residential services include the following:
Your commercial property’s appearance speaks volumes to your clients. So, when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services, SERVPRO franchise professionals have the training and expertise to help make it “Like it never even happened.” With more than 1,700 franchises nationwide, there’s a SERVPRO professional nearby and ready to serve you. Our commercial services include the following:
When water damage occurs in your home, it’s not always easy to determine where exactly the water has migrated to. To the naked eye, surfaces will appear dry but it can still be wet underneath the flooring or behind the drywall. SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood will use detection equipment to help determine if you still have moisture and what next steps should be.
Detection Equipment Scoping involves locating the areas of the structure affected by water and defining the extent to which the structure and contents have absorbed moisture. Moisture detection devices are also used to verify that an environment has been dried thoroughly.
- Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
- Moisture Meters are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate moisture readings that enable the SERVPRO® Franchise Professional to monitor the drying process.
- Thermohydrometers measure both temperature and relative humidity. Capturing these two readings, a SERVPRO® Franchise Professional using a psychrometric chart can calculate specific humidity, dew point and vapor pressure.
If you’ve had water damage and need help determining where it has migrated to, call SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood at 636-537-5400.
What NOT To Do After a Fire
We often hear of tips of how to prepare your family if a fire occurs or even what to do after the fire has occurred; however, we don’t often hear of things we should avoid after a fire. Below are a few tips of things you should NOT do after a fire has occurred in your home.
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Commercial Fire and Smoke Restoration
Commercial Restoration Presents Unique Challenges
SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood has the training, experience, and equipment to manage your commercial fire damage emergency. We understand the importance of getting your business back up and going as soon as possible. We will respond quickly and manage the fire restoration project through to its completion—getting your property business-ready. We will also work hand in hand with your insurance company to ensure it’s a smooth process for you. Below are a few of the certifications that our crews have to make sure we properly remediate any fire and smoke damage to your property.
- Fire and Smoke Restoration Technician
- Odor Control Technician
- Upholstery & Fabric Cleaning Technician
- Water Damage Restoration Technician
Call SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood if your business is need of fire or smoke restoration.
SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood
Tarping and Boarding Up after a Storm
The St. Louis area is no stranger to an aggressive storm season. We’re accustomed to experiencing high winds, hail and at times, tornadoes. This can cause some of our beautiful trees in the area to take a hit. Unfortunately, we can’t control which way these trees fall and sometimes end up through the roof or window. When this happens, you want to be sure these areas are boarded up or tarped immediately to keep any additional water from entering your home. The professionals at SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood will be able to assist you in any of your boarding up or tarping needs. We will also be able to give you an on-site assessment of any water damage and where exactly it has migrated throughout your home. SERVPRO of South Chesterfield/Wildwood will be able to dry out your home and get it back to its preloss condition.
Call us today for any of your storm related questions at 636-537-5400!